Upgraded to office 2003 now cannot find personal.xls

  1. #1
    jgg765
    Guest

    Upgraded to office 2003 now cannot find personal.xls

    A machine was upgraded from office 2000 to office 2003.
    After being upgraded we can no longer find personal.xls
    Please keep in mind the machine was not imaged or wiped out in anyway.
    I tried the following troubleshooting steps below.

    I did the following things to located the file.
    I went into tools options and choose to unhide all files and operating
    system files I then searched the following locations his C: and D: drive and
    network drive.
    I was unable to find anything.
    I also searched hard drive and network drive for personal.xls also tried a
    wild card search (in case somehow it was renamed) of per*.* could not find
    anything.
    I checked the recycle bin and found nothing there.

    Now according to documention it would not be in there profile.
    The default location is
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Xlstart
    So of course copying the profile would not grab it however searching all
    hard drive should find it.

  2. #2

    Re: Upgraded to office 2003 now cannot find personal.xls

    Maybe looking again using an old DOS command would help:

    (Windows start button|run
    for winNT/win2k (winXP): cmd
    for win9*, type: command

    Then

    dir c:\personal.xl* /s /ah

    ======
    Do you have a backup of your personal.xl* file? Any chance it (or its backup)
    was located on a network drive.

    (I've never seen the real personal.xl* stored on a network drive, though. This
    would be a stretch--but it can't hurt looking.)