Sort a Subtotalled List?

  1. #1
    Rich
    Guest

    Sort a Subtotalled List?

    Hello,
    Does anyone know if you can sort a list after it has been subtotalled?
    The reason I ask is because I am basically sorting a list based on a criteria
    and then deleted all transactions that offset to each other to equal zero. So
    if I could sort the list after it was subtotalled all the subtotalled amounts
    that equaled zero would be in order and I could delete them all at once,
    instead of scanning through the list. Any help would save me a huge amount of
    time.

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: Sort a Subtotalled List?

    Would it be better to remove the subtotals (Data/Subtotals/Remove All) then
    sort/delete data, then re-apply the subototals?

  3. #3
    Rich
    Guest

    RE: Sort a Subtotalled List?

    That would not work. The reason why is because I am trying to match numbers
    that will equal zero, then delete them once I have matched them. So what I
    have been doing is sorting them, subtotalling them, and deleting all of them
    that equal zero. But I would like to somehow get all of the transactions that
    offset to zero together so I could delete them all at once.

  4. #4
    Rich

  5. #5
    Rich

  6. #6
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: Sort a Subtotalled List?

    I think I see what you're getting at. Try collapsing the subtotals so you
    only see the subtotals, not the details, then try sorting (based on whatever
    column has the subtotal amount). Tested it on my machine and it looks like
    it will sort the table using the subtotal amount as the key.

    Be sure to back up your data and, after sorting, match the details of one or
    two of your subtotals to make sure it moved the details (comprising the
    subtotal) when you sorted the data. Again, on the test I ran, it looks like
    it will work.

  7. #7
    Rich
    Guest

    RE: Sort a Subtotalled List?

    I tried that previously and it didn't appear to work. Are you running Office
    XP? I only have Office 2000. What steps did you actually do?

    Thanks,

  8. #8
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: Sort a Subtotalled List?

    I have Office 2000.

    I set up a table with Names and Amounts. Then I clicked Data/Subtotals
    (every change in Name, Sum Amounts). Then I collapsed the data so I could
    only see the subtotals

    A B
    Name Amount
    1 x total 15
    2 y total 0
    3 z total 30
    4 Grand Total 45

    Then, I selected A1:B3 (excluded the Grand Total line), clicked Data/Sort,
    primary key = Amount, ascending order, resulting in

    A B
    Name Amount
    1 y total 0
    2 x total 15
    3 z total 30
    4 Grand Total 45

    I then expanded the next level. Details were all intact.

  9. #9
    Rich
    Guest

    RE: Sort a Subtotalled List?

    JMB Thanks a ton. I was able to get it to work. The mistake I was making was
    just highlighting the whole sheet once it was subtotalled and you can't sort
    that way. You have to just highlight the subtotalled group itself and then
    sort. You just saved me a ton of time. I wish I had known this feature
    earlier.

    Thanks!

  10. #10
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: Sort a Subtotalled List?

    you're welcome. although I had never tried it before now, either.