Can I create and save a formula for text fields?

  1. #1
    Jason
    Guest

    Can I create and save a formula for text fields?

    I have a text field that has "Lastname, Firstname" and I would like to create
    a second field that just shows the first name. Since I have a lot of names in
    this format, I was thinking that I could create some kind of text formula in
    Excel that would equal the original text field and delete everything up to
    the comma. Can Excel do this using wildcards? Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Bill Kuunders
    Guest

    Re: Can I create and save a formula for text fields?

    Highlight the cells and
    go to <data><text to columns>
    step one .........delimited
    step two ..........comma
    step three .......select where to place the split columns

    --
    Greetings from New Zealand
    Bill K

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Can I create and save a formula for text fields?

    Jason,

    =LEFT(A2,FIND(",",A2)-1)

    If some of your entries don't have a comma, it'll error out. If that's a
    possibilty, use:

    =LEFT(A2,IF(ISERROR(FIND(",",A2)),LEN(A2),FIND(",",A2)-1))
    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com/