Way to Link Tab Names

  1. #1
    Karl Burrows
    Guest

    Way to Link Tab Names

    I checked this out a few years ago, but thought I might post for an updated
    answer. I have a few workbooks linked together and would like to know if
    there is a way to create an absolute reference between linked tabs
    regardless of the name of the tab. As new projects are started, tabs get
    renamed, so we have to have all the workbooks open at once to keep the links
    active. Maybe there is a way to name the tab to a linked cell, so as a
    workbook is opened, it looks at the linked cell name for the tab name first
    to keep the links active? It would also have to work around tabs getting
    relocated, so references to Sheet1, Sheet2, would probably not work, which
    is why I thought a cell reference would work around that issue.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Anthony Slater
    Guest

    RE: Way to Link Tab Names

    If you mean having the sheet tab's name in a particular cell then you can you
    use this in cell B1 for example: -

    =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,
    LEN(CELL("filename",A1))-FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1)))

    By the way, your workbook has to be saved for this to work

  3. #3
    DM Unseen
    Guest

    Re: Way to Link Tab Names

    Repost!

    Use Workbook Named ranges, since they are independent of the worksheet.
    they can be accesd externally

    Use a custom INDIRECT function that allows external references:

    VBA
    version:http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...3f710fa81f755b

    XLL version: http://xcell05.free.fr/

    DM Unseen

  4. #4
    Karl Burrows
    Guest

    Re: Way to Link Tab Names

    Not really close. I don't just need the name of the file or tab. I need
    the absolute reference between the two to remain even if tabs get renamed.
    That posting talks about extracting values of linked files, which is great,
    but I need to take it a step further in case a tab is renamed and the linked
    sheet is not open to keep the link active until the tab in it can be
    renamed.

    Thanks!

    news:[email protected]...