Seperating duplicate cells

  1. #1
    Hayley1982
    Guest

    Seperating duplicate cells

    I have two columns (column a & column b) column A has a list of 29,000
    chassis numbers, column B has a list of 11,000 chassis numbers, i need a way
    to create a new column that shows a list of all the chassis numbers that do
    not match between columns a & b

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    2003 Excel
    Hi Hayley,

    assuming your data is in A1;A29000 and B1:B11000

    In C1 put this formula

    =IF(B1=VLOOKUP(B1,$A$1:$A$29000,1),"match",B1)

    This will give either a match or the chassis number if there is no match

    Drag this down in column C for all values in column B

    you can then sort the data in column C numerically ascending to give all the chassis numbers to the top

    Or you could autofilter > custom column C and show values not equal to match

    Don't forget column A will have to be in numerical order for VLOOKUP to work.

    HTH.
    Last edited by greg7468; 06-22-2005 at 07:05 AM.
    Greg.

    "The most overlooked advantage of owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against whacking them around a bit."

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Seperating duplicate cells

    One way ..

    Assuming the data is in cols A (29K) and B (11K),
    from row1 down

    Put in D1:
    =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(E:E,ROWS($A$1:A1))),"",INDEX(A:A,MATCH(SMALL(E:E,ROWS($A$1
    :A1)),E:E,0)))

    Put in E1:
    =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,B:B,0)),"",ROW())

    Select D1:E1, copy down to E29000

    Col D will return all chassis #s in col A which do not match with those in
    col B, neatly bunched at the top

    Put in F1:
    =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(G:G,ROWS($A$1:A1))),"",INDEX(B:B,MATCH(SMALL(G:G,ROWS($A$1
    :A1)),G:G,0)))

    Put in G1:
    =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B1,A:A,0)),"",ROW())

    Select F1:G1, copy down to G11000

    Col F will return all chassis #s in col B which do not match with those in
    col A, neatly bunched at the top

    --
    Rgds
    Max