Drop down list error after edit

  1. #1
    theslaz
    Guest

    Drop down list error after edit

    I am using a drop down list to describe the type of work that I want to
    bill for.Is it possible to add a comment or edit this desription once it
    is displayed. Right now when I attempt to change/add info; I get a error
    message and can not complete my edit. Is there a way around this?

  2. #2
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: Drop down list error after edit

    Hi theslaz,

    Are you using cell validation to show the drop-down list?
    If so, use the menu command Data - Validation... go to the
    Error Alert tab, and change the style to Warning.

    You can now enter data not included in the validation list
    if you answer a warning message.

    I have a tutorial on this stuff at http://edferrero.m6.net/DataTutor01.html

    Ed Ferrero
    http://edferrero.m6.net

  3. #3
    theslaz

    Ed Ferrero wrote:
    > Hi theslaz,
    >
    > Are you using cell validation to show the drop-down list?
    > If so, use the menu command Data - Validation... go to the
    > Error Alert tab, and change the style to Warning.
    >
    > You can now enter data not included in the validation list
    > if you answer a warning message.
    >
    > I have a tutorial on this stuff at http://edferrero.m6.net/DataTutor01.html
    >
    > Ed Ferrero
    > http://edferrero.m6.net
    >

    >>I am using a drop down list to describe the type of work that I want to
    >>bill for.Is it possible to add a comment or edit this desription once it is
    >>displayed. Right now when I attempt to change/add info; I get a error
    >>message and can not complete my edit. Is there a way around this?

    Yes; I am using "Cell Validation". I tried your suggestion and it
    worked. Well sort of! The problem I have now is that a price for my work
    (description) pops up. When I change/edit that description; the price
    disappears. I am using the "Vlookup" syntax to retrieve the price from a
    list. I understand what is happening; as the "Vlookup" can longer find
    text in my column of item descriptions that matches the new text after I
    have edited it. Any way around this?

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Drop down list error after edit

    You could add a comment to the cell (Insert > Comment), or type the
    description in another column.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  5. #5
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: Drop down list error after edit

    Hi,

    You could change the last parameter in VLOOKUP to True.

    Some warnings on doing this;

    - You must sort the lookup table (by lookup column)
    - Will only work if you are adding to the description, if
    you add a new description, VLOOOKUP will return the
    next (alphabetic) record in the table
    - you might get better results if you pad the initial
    descriptions so they all have the same length
    i.e. 'something' - 8 char
    'other' - 5 char, change to 'other '

    Ed Ferrero
    http://edferrero.m6.net

  6. #6
    theslaz

    Debra Dalgleish wrote:
    > You could add a comment to the cell (Insert > Comment), or type the
    > description in another column.
    >
    > theslaz wrote:
    >
    >> Ed Ferrero wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi theslaz,
    >>>
    >>> Are you using cell validation to show the drop-down list?
    >>> If so, use the menu command Data - Validation... go to the
    >>> Error Alert tab, and change the style to Warning.
    >>>
    >>> You can now enter data not included in the validation list
    >>> if you answer a warning message.
    >>>
    >>> I have a tutorial on this stuff at
    >>> http://edferrero.m6.net/DataTutor01.html
    >>>
    >>> Ed Ferrero
    >>> http://edferrero.m6.net

    >> Yes; I am using "Cell Validation". I tried your suggestion and it
    >> worked. Well sort of! The problem I have now is that a price for my
    >> work (description) pops up. When I change/edit that description; the
    >> price disappears. I am using the "Vlookup" syntax to retrieve the
    >> price from a list. I understand what is happening; as the "Vlookup"
    >> can longer find text in my column of item descriptions that matches
    >> the new text after I have edited it. Any way around this?

    Inserting a comment doesn't work as I want the additional information to
    be printed on the invoice. I have a second column set up at this time
    for additional information; however; I am trying to elimate that column
    in order to make the invoice a bit smaller.