Copying and Filling Cell With Functions

  1. #1
    DLZ217
    Guest

    Copying and Filling Cell With Functions

    I have an Excel page that has refrences to another worksheet ie =May!B2 I
    want to create a generic spreadsheet that I can just copy for each month but
    when I do I get ='[May Commissions Sheet.xls]May'!B2 is there a way to advoid
    this? And also when I try and do a fill instead of trying to copy I get
    =May!B3 or I tried typing in cell M2, =May!B2 and in cell M3, =May!C2 and
    then tried to do a fill that way for Excel to get an idea of what i was
    trying to do and it ends up putting =May!B4 in M4 and =May!C4 in M5 and
    =May!B6 in M6 etc. Can anyone help me cause I am about to lose it!
    Thanks!!!!

    Mike

  2. #2

    Re: Copying and Filling Cell With Functions

    One way around it is to convert the formulas to text, copy the text, and
    reconvert the text back to formulas:

    Select that range to copy (ctrl-a (twice in xl2003) will select the whole sheet)
    Edit|replace
    what: = (equal sign)
    with: $$$$$= (some unique string)
    replace all

    Now those formulas are just text.

    Copy and paste

    And then
    edit|replace
    what: $$$$$=
    with: =
    replace all

    Both in the original worksheet and the pasted worksheet.