Copy and pasting columns that are not adjacent

  1. #1

    Copy and pasting columns that are not adjacent

    Is there a way to copy and paste columns that are not adjacent i.e. they are on the same rows but there are columns in between that I do not want to copy (and do not want to move adjacent) - they are to go into autocad as an embedded file. What if the columns are not on the same rows, can you still copy and paste seperate parts of a spreadsheet in one go/file

  2. #2
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Copy and pasting columns that are not adjacent

    Turnipboy,

    If it's really embedding (regular good old OLE), it's embedding the entire
    workbook anyway -- it doesn't embed just selected parts of a file. If
    that's the case, just select the stuff, including the columns you don't
    want, and embed them. Then double click the embedded object in AutoCad, and
    hide the columns you don't want. Then click outside of it to get out of
    Edit Mode.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com/

    "Turnipboy" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    geoffreykyc
    Guest

    How to locate the first place of numeric data in a code

    Is there a way to locate the first place of numeric data in a code like
    this:

    TA002653 here the numeric data starts from 0 , the third digit
    PIT207212 here the numeric data starts from 2, the fourth digit
    GUGC123 here the numeric data starts from 1, the fifth digit

    How can I get the result ?

    Thank you very much.
    Geoffrey

  4. #4
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: How to locate the first place of numeric data in a code

    Try...

    =MIN(SEARCH({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A1&"0123456789"))

    Hope this helps!

  5. #5
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: How to locate the first place of numeric data in a code

    This assumes that there's at least one numeric digit within the code.

  6. #6
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: How to locate the first place of numeric data in a code

    "Domenic" <[email protected]> wrote...
    >This assumes that there's at least one numeric digit within the code.
    >
    >Domenic <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Try...
    >>
    >>=MIN(SEARCH({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A1&"0123456789"))

    No such assumption! The reason for appending the string of all decimal
    numerals to A1 in the 2nd arg to SEARCH is to prevent errors when there's no
    decimal numeral in A1. The formula return LEN(A1)+1 when there are no
    decimal numerals in A1.

  7. #7
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: How to locate the first place of numeric data in a code

    After posting the formula, I have to admit that I wasn't too happy with
    it, for the very reason you cited. Maybe...

    =MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)+0),0)

    ....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

  8. #8
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: How to locate the first place of numeric data in a code

    "Domenic" <[email protected]> wrote...
    >After posting the formula, I have to admit that I wasn't too
    >happy with it, for the very reason you cited. Maybe...
    >
    >=MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)+0),0)

    Your first one is MUCH, MUCH better than your latest one whether or not you
    fully understand it. I wasn't criticizing your first formula, just the
    inaccuracy of your caveat.

    Appending the string of decimal numerals to A1 isn't necessarily a cheap
    operation, and calling SEARCH repeatedly isn't cheap either. However,
    they're cheaper than calling MID and ISNUMBER repeatedly. Also, INDIRECT is
    volatile, so your latest formula would be recalculated all the time, whereas
    your first formula would only be recalculated when A1 changes.

  9. #9
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: How to locate the first place of numeric data in a code

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Harlan Grove" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Your first one is MUCH, MUCH better than your latest one whether or not you
    > fully understand it. I wasn't criticizing your first formula, just the
    > inaccuracy of your caveat.

    Oh, I see what you mean. It looks like I picked the wrong choice of
    words for the caveat. What I meant was that if there wasn't at least
    one numerical digit in A1, an incorrect result would be returned.

    What I probably should have said is that the formula will return 1 when
    A1 is empty and LEN(A1)+1 when there are no numerical digits in A1.

    > Appending the string of decimal numerals to A1 isn't necessarily a cheap
    > operation, and calling SEARCH repeatedly isn't cheap either. However,
    > they're cheaper than calling MID and ISNUMBER repeatedly. Also, INDIRECT is
    > volatile, so your latest formula would be recalculated all the time, whereas
    > your first formula would only be recalculated when A1 changes.

    Thanks Harlan, I appreciate the insight!