In Excel, sorting columns automatically by clicking column title

  1. #1
    Destiny
    Guest

    In Excel, sorting columns automatically by clicking column title

    I need to create an Excel worksheet that the whole document can be
    automatically sorted when the user clicks on one of column titles. My
    thought is that the column titles would, in a sense, be buttons that can be
    depressed, thereby sorting the entire document based on the column clicked
    on. Kind of like MS Outlooks way of organizing e-mail.

    Your help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: In Excel, sorting columns automatically by clicking column title

    Destiny,

    You could record a macro that sorts the table, then put a button in the
    header and assign the button to that macro. Do do the sort carefully --
    Please. Use Data - Sort, not the toolbar buttons, unless you really know
    what you're doing. And don't mind losing your job over a ruined table.

    It's also possible, though more difficult, to set it up so that the user
    need only click in your header to run the sort macro.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com/

    news:[email protected]...