How to post sample data to this NG

  1. #1
    M.Siler
    Guest

    How to post sample data to this NG

    What is the best way to post data to this newsgroup such that people kind
    enough to help can copy/paste the data into a sheet.

    If I had the following:

    A1 = 5 B1 = Apple C1 = Red
    A2 = 9 B2 = Grape C2 = Blue
    A3 = 2 B3 = Orange C3 = Green

    I've tried the follow, but nothing seems to work... any suggestions?

    5,Apple,Red
    9,Grape,Blue
    2,Orange,Green

    or

    "5","Apple","Red"
    "9","Grape","Blue"
    "2","Orange","Green"

    or

    5;Apple;Red
    9;Grape;Blue
    2;Orange;Green

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: How to post sample data to this NG

    I prefer

    A B C
    1 5 Apple Red
    2 9 Grape Blue
    3 2 Orange Green

    but any of your other forms will work - I'd just paste them in and use
    Data/Text to Columns to distribute them. However, enclosing the values
    in quotes will tend to cause them to be entered as text, which you might
    not want for column A.

  3. #3
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: How to post sample data to this NG

    I actually prefer the comma delimited:

    5,Apple,Red
    9,Grape,Blue
    2,Orange,Green

    That way, I don't have to deal with weird spaces when using text to columns.
    Of course, if your cells have commas, you're cooked.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: How to post sample data to this NG

    if i were you and you had data; i would use a database and not excel
    lol

    DATAbase

    much better for making reports

  5. #5
    M.Siler
    Guest

    Re: How to post sample data to this NG

    How does everyone feel if a unique delimiter was used line the tilde ~

    5~Apple~Red
    9~Grape~Blue
    2~Orange~Green

    Then use Data > Text to Columns... and select the tilde as the delimiter and
    you're golden.

    I looked through options and didn't see where I could set the ~ as the
    default delimiter.

    news:uUM%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    M.Siler
    Guest

    Re: How to post sample data to this NG

    I never knew about Data > Text to Columns...

    I like your way, you just have to remember to select on screen 3 of 3 the
    radio button for "Do not import column (skip)" and make sure the first
    column in the "Data preview" area so the row numbers aren't put in.

    OR

    Delete Column A when done.

    Thanks!

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Bill Sharpe
    Guest

    Re: How to post sample data to this NG

    Access is overkill for three rows and three columns. <g>

    Bill

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How to post sample data to this NG

    Invariably we have some work to do, but if we are minded to help, the format
    JE suggests usually works best.

    RP

  9. #9
    M.Siler
    Guest

    Re: How to post sample data to this NG

    So it shall be. Thanks!

    news:udkR%[email protected]...

  10. #10
    M.Siler
    Guest

    Re: How to post sample data to this NG

    I just attached a file and it posted here. I didn't think it would. Given
    that it did, is there anyone that will get upset or is this a good way to
    explain something when there's just too much and the actual workbook would
    be best?

    What about HTML posts?

  11. #11
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: How to post sample data to this NG

    Just my US$0.02:

    My newsreader automatically kills any post with an attachment, so I'll
    never see it. I sometimes download a file that someone's posted to a ftp
    site and provided a link, but usually only for a particularly
    interesting problem, or after exhausting other efforts.

    For the most part, when someone says that "there's just too much" and
    they need to send a workbook, it means that they haven't done the work
    to adequately specify the problem. Often that means that viewing the
    workbook doesn't help. Not saying always, but a vast majority of the
    time...

    As for HTML, I read all my posts in plain text. I killfile HTML by
    default. Occasionally one slips through - if I see a bunch of tags, I
    mark the thread "read" and move on.

  12. #12
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: How to post sample data to this NG

    Don't attach files. Few, if any, people will open them due to the
    possibility of viruses or nefarious code. You should explain
    clearly your problem, step by step, in the body of your message.
    HTLM posts are frowned upon. Usenet is a text only medium.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

  13. #13
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: How to post sample data to this NG

    Additionally, many are on dial up through no fault of their own and this
    sucks up bandwidth.
    And, if a respondent wants you to send a file direct to them, you will be
    invited to do so.
    Best to use meaningful subject lines, give a clear explanation and a SAMPLE
    result.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software