How do I produce a number in parentheses?

  1. #1
    Carter Devereaux
    Guest

    How do I produce a number in parentheses?

    I'm trying to produce a series of percentage numbers in parentheses, like
    this, (29.5%). But Excel forces a negative format value on it. How can I
    produce what I want?

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: How do I produce a number in parentheses?

    For display purposes, if you type 29.5 in a cell, you can format it Custom
    with "("#.#"%)"

    It will show as (29.5%) but the actual value will be 29.5

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck CABGx3

    "Carter Devereaux" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Carter Devereaux
    Guest

    Re: How do I produce a number in parentheses?

    Your answer worked perfectly. Thanks. One more question related to your
    solution: if I use Custom for example on 29.5, it rounds it up to 30; how can
    I get 29.5?

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: How do I produce a number in parentheses?

    I'm not sure..........if I take a blank general-formatted cell and type in
    29.5 and then apply the custom "("#.#"%)"
    format to it, the cell displays (29.5%) here in my XL2k............maybe
    you're using a different version of Excel and it's acting differently?

  5. #5
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: How do I produce a number in parentheses?

    OR maybe the decimal is missing?

    RD

    news:%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Lanak Suri
    Guest

    RE: How do I produce a number in parentheses?

    It can be displayed by customising 29.5% in parantheses, as (#.#%). For this
    right click any cell; press 'f' and in the Number tab click custom and type
    the above format. Now you can type any number with percentage and format it
    by clicking custom and select (#.#%) And now replicate the cell wherever you
    want.