Can anyone give me the equation to convert watts to Decibels?

  1. #1
    Wayne Robson
    Guest

    Can anyone give me the equation to convert watts to Decibels?

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Can anyone give me the equation to convert watts to Decibels?

    No, because there isn't one. Watts is power, decibels is sound intensity.
    While related, they are not the same thing: A higher wattage speaker will be
    louder, but distance from the speaker matters, too.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    "Wayne Robson" <Wayne [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Marvin P. Winterbottom
    Guest

    Re: Can anyone give me the equation to convert watts to Decibels?

    from some web site I found:

    "Another rule of thumb that is useful to remember is that 10 dB is a power
    ratio of 10. Any time a power is increased tenfold, it is increased by 10 dB;
    thus, a 200W power amplifier will put out 10 dB more electrical power than a
    20W amplifier, and its sound power output will also increase by 10 dB."

  4. #4
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Can anyone give me the equation to convert watts to Decibels?

    But, it still can't say what the decibel level is in absolute terms.....

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    "Marvin P. Winterbottom" <[email protected]>