getting info from 2nd spreedsheet

  1. #1
    rbell
    Guest

    getting info from 2nd spreedsheet

    H First I'm new to Excell. What I want to do is retreive info from a 2nd
    worksheet. I have the first which is a list of part numbers and Qty's
    (my inventory) and a 2nd from the manufacture which has prices,
    descriptions etc.
    I would like to look at a PN on worksheet 1 and look it up on worksheet
    2, find the price, and enter it in a colume (cell) on worksheet 1.

    --
    rbell

  2. #2

    Re: getting info from 2nd spreedsheet

    It sounds like =vlookup() or =index(match()) would be a good choice (depending
    on how your data is laid out).

    Visit Debra Dalgleish's site:
    for nice instructions.

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: getting info from 2nd spreedsheet

    Assume you have

    In Sheet1 (your inventory)
    -----
    In cols A to C, data from row2 down

    PN Qty Price
    1111 100 ?
    1112 200 ?
    etc

    In Sheet2 (from manufacturer)
    ------
    In cols A to C, data from row2 down

    PN Price
    1111 100
    1112 200

    In Sheet1,
    Put in C2: =INDEX(Sheet2!B:B,MATCH(Sheet1!A2,Sheet2!A:A,0))
    Format C2 as currency if desired, then copy down

    Col C will return the prices for the PN's from Sheet2
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    rbell
    Guest

    Re: getting info from 2nd spreedsheet

    Hi Max First thanks for the suggestion. The sheets I have are laid out
    just like your example, but when I enter it I get a #na returned. I
    entered the formula in sheet1 c2 and copied it down. Any other
    thoughts. Thanks ****

    --
    rbell

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: getting info from 2nd spreedsheet

    One possibility for the non-match is that the lookup PN values are text
    numbers, while those in Sheet2's col A are real numbers. In which case, try
    instead in Sheet1's C2: =INDEX(Sheet2!B:B,MATCH(A2+0,Sheet2!A:A,0))
    The "+0" operation will coerce the text PN numbers to real numbers for
    proper matching.

    Another possibility is the other way around, i.e. PNs in Sheet2's col A are
    text numbers, while the lookup values in Sheet1's col A are real numbers.
    Try this to convert Sheet2's col A to real numbers. Select an empty cell and
    copy it. Then select / right-click on Sheet2's col A > Paste Special >
    Check "Add" > OK.

    Try the above, let us know how it goes.
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  6. #6
    rbell
    Guest

    Re: getting info from 2nd spreedsheet

    Hi Max You hit the nail on the head. The Mfg. Excell spread sheet was
    all in text. I had put it on a machine with Excell 2003 (was using
    Excell97)and it showed a box that pointed out they were text numbers.
    It had a selection to convert them to number numbers. Also the Mfg
    sheet has cost and retail prices that had to be converted so they could
    be merged to my inventory. Mine has about 800 parts and the Mfg sheet
    has about 28,000 numbers, everything they have. So once this was done
    it was very easy to get what I want. Thanks again Max
    BTW your initial formula worked after the conversion.

    --
    rbell

  7. #7
    Max