Weighed average if the adjecent column contains blanks

  1. #1

    Weighed average if the adjecent column contains blanks

    Hello,

    I hope someone can help me

    I'm trying to calculate a weighed average grade with excel

    on one column are the credits:
    e.g
    2
    4,5

    and on the other column are the grades that correspond those blanks (from 1-5)
    e.g
    (this course is not yet completed so here is a blank)
    (same here)

    Now how could I calculate the weighed average so that the entries with blanks are ignored (the credits that correspond to the blanks are not taken into the calculation)

    Hope you understood my explanation

    any help much appreciated

  2. #2
    bigwheel
    Guest

    RE: Weighed average if the adjecent column contains blanks

    Assuming your credits values are, for example, in A1:A5 and your grades in
    B1:B5
    then to total values use =SUMIF(B1:B5,">0",A1:A5)

  3. #3
    yes it works!

    Thanks alot!