Conditional formatting-Is there are quick way of copying this formula

  1. #1
    yhtak
    Guest

    Conditional formatting-Is there are quick way of copying this formula

    I have a table with several rows and columns from week 1 - week 52. I want
    the formatting to be goverened by the preceeding cell values. I've formatted
    week two (red if higher than week 1, green if same or lower) Is there are
    quick way of copying this formula across the other cells and rows?

  2. #2

    re: Conditional formatting-Is there are quick way of copying this formula

    Edit|Copy
    Edit|paste special|Formats
    (it'll copy all formats including conditional formatting)

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    re: Conditional formatting-Is there are quick way of copying this formula

    First select ALL the cells to which you want the formatting to apply
    Then go to the Conditional Formatting dialog box and apply the formatting
    conditions, making sure that the conditional formulas point to the cell
    appropriate for the active cell in the selection. Also make sure you are
    using relative cell references AND NOT absolute cell references

  4. #4
    yhtak
    Guest

    re: Conditional formatting-Is there are quick way of copying this formula

    This is what I want to do:

    If value of cell A is greater than cell B then fill in red, if less fill in
    green; if cell C is greater/less than cell D fill in red/green etc. etc.
    Can I do this quickly without having to set the condition for each cell
    separately. Also need to do this for several rows.

    Sorry but definitely a novice when it comes to Excel

  5. #5
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    re: Conditional formatting-Is there are quick way of copying this formula

    Left click & hold on the top left cell you want formatted this way
    While holding down the mouse button drag to the bottom left corner of the
    cells you want to format and release the mouse button
    All the cells to be formatted SHOULD now be boxed/highlighted, and the top
    left cell should be within the box but not highlighted. I'll assume it is A2
    Go to Format|Conditional formatting

    In the left box choose "Cell Value is"
    In the next box choose "greater than"
    In the next box type (without the quotes) "=B2"
    Click on the format button and choose a Red pattern & click on OK

    Click on the Add>> button

    In the left box choose "Cell Value is"
    In the next box choose "less than or eqaul to"
    In the next box type (without the quotes) "=B2"
    Click on the format button and choose a Green pattern & click on OK

    Click on OK

    You should then have just what you wnt