What is a shortcut menu?

  1. #1
    Jeffry
    Guest

    What is a shortcut menu?

    Excel 2002 help on filling a series of numbers refers to "Use the Series
    command on the shortcut menu". Nowhere are the series command nor shorcut
    menu defined. Further, all I can do is copy a number instead of doing a
    series. Only copy cells is not grayed out on the popup menu from a right
    click or on the Edit, Fill menu from the toolbar.

    I have 1 in the first cell, 2 in the second, grab the handle and drag, and
    cannot fill a series regardless of any key is used or not. This worked on
    Friday and the previous year.

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: What is a shortcut menu?

    You must select a range of cells first.
    Type 1 in A1; select A1:A20, use Edit|Fill|Down
    or
    Type 1 in A1; select A1:A20, use Edit|Fill|Series and type 20 in Stop Value
    or
    type 5 in B1 and 10 in B2; select B1:B2 and move mouse point over 'fill
    handle' - solid square in lower right corner of B2; pull this down to B10
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jeffry
    Guest

    Re: What is a shortcut menu?

    That was what I tried and did not work. Found out I had Autofilter on;
    turned it off and it worked properly. However, which menu is the one
    referred to as the shortcut menu? Is it the one in the dropdown from the
    toolbar, or the one you get with a right mouse click and drag on the handle,
    or either?

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: What is a shortcut menu?

    Jeffry

    Enter 1 in A1.

    Right-click on the fill handle(bottom right corner of cell) of A1 and drag
    down a few rows.

    Release the button and you will get a "Fill" shortcut menu with choices to
    "copy cells", "fill series" and a few other depending upon the type of data
    you are dragging.

    Enter a date in A1, drag down and see the fill options change.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP