file encrypt

  1. #1
    RC
    Guest

    file encrypt

    Recently I transfer all my files to a new computer. After the transfer, I
    tried to open a file on my computer with excel. It comes back that the
    document maybe read-only or encrypted. I did not make this read only or
    encrypt it. It was working fine before I move it to my new computer. could
    someone help me open this file? Thank you.

  2. #2
    ScottO
    Guest

    Re: file encrypt

    One thought ...
    Did you transfer the files by copying them via a CD or DVD?
    If so, that can set the Read-Only flag (because the CD is seen as a
    read-only medium).

    If that's the case, go to explorer and right click the file and select
    Properties. At the bottom of the General Tab you'll see the Read Only
    attribute is ticked.

    If that's the case, I don't know an automated way of unsetting these flags
    for a large quantity of files. But I bet someone who's even moderately
    proficient in DOS would be able to tell you how to do it in bulk.

    Rgds,
    ScottO

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: file encrypt

    If you need a script for a directory, post back. It is simple enough.

    Bob Phillips

    news:O%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: file encrypt

    Scott, RC,

    You can turn off Read-Only flags en masse with Windows. Just open the
    folder, select the files (Ctrl key, Shift key, or dragging a select box
    around them). Then right-click one of the selected files - Properties, then
    click the Read-Only checkbox once or twice until there's a check mark in it.

    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com/