How do I convert date values to non-date format e.g. 01-06-78?

  1. #1
    mikelenno
    Guest

    How do I convert date values to non-date format e.g. 01-06-78?

    Hello,

    we have a large spreadsheet (Excel 2003) with bank codes that have been
    automatically converted to date format. Any bank code in column G that could
    also be a date, such as 03-07-78, will get converted to 03/07/78. Is there a
    way to convert these 'dates' back to format for bank code (we do need date
    format for other column)?

    Thank you,

  2. #2

    Re: How do I convert date values to non-date format e.g. 01-06-78?

    I think you'd be much better off reimporting the data into excel.

    If you're importing a text file, make sure that the extension is .txt. Then
    file|open your workbook and specify Text for that field.

    But you could try a helper column with formulas like:

    =IF(ISNUMBER(A1),TEXT(A1,"mm-dd-yy"),A1)

    (But I'd start from scratch and re-import.)

  3. #3
    mikelenno
    Guest

    Re: How do I convert date values to non-date format e.g. 01-06-78?

    Thanks Dave. I'll check when back at work next week.