stock quote query mal-function

  1. #1
    jt
    Guest

    stock quote query mal-function

    i have been using the 'ms investor stock quotes' function in excel 2000 to
    update my portfolio; it no longer functions rather gives me this message
    "Unable to open http://investor.msn.com/external/exc...es.asp?SYMBOL=.
    Cannot download the information you requested." was working fine before i
    installed explorer 6 sp1 kb883939 security update - can anyone offer a
    work-around to restore functionality, or a way to un-install the security
    update?
    thanks for your assistance, jt.

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: stock quote query mal-function

    See Jason's reply (first reply) in this thread
    http://google.com/groups?threadm=112...oglegroups.com

    Microsoft changed the name of the URL within the query, nothing to do with IE or Excel or security
    patches.
    ---
    HTH,

    ---

  3. #3
    jt
    Guest

    Re: stock quote query mal-function

    dave...thanks very much, the sheet works again after only a modest change as
    per your suggestion...again thanks and be well, jt

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: stock quote query mal-function

    Thanks, good to get feedback, the problem just started popping up all over the place
    after that thread. Jason's anonymous posting in that thread was the one with the
    answer to change the URL within the query. I've tucked the answer away on my
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...s.htm#excerpts page though I don't

    do any of that, Quicken suits me just fine. But for those that do they might
    be interested in the Microsoft templates -- haven't figured out if it is possible
    to search with anything like the precision of using Google to just get the
    investment Excel templates, but who knows maybe someone also wants the
    word templates as well..

    "jt" <[email protected]> wrote in ...