Showing the percentage of a total in Excel

  1. #1
    jakeyboy
    Guest

    Showing the percentage of a total in Excel

    I would like to add a percentage to a figure but wish to show the amount
    added rather than the total.

    For example:
    $1000.00 + 25% = $250.00

    At the moment I can only get the formula to show:
    $1000.00 + 25% = $1250.00

    Any help would be much appreciated!

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Showing the percentage of a total in Excel

    So, how about =A1*.25?
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    jakeyboy
    Guest

    Re: Showing the percentage of a total in Excel

    Thanks for your reply Anne but I forgot to mention that the percentage will
    constantly differ.

    I currently have the formula
    =A2*(1+B2)
    Increase number in cell A2 by the percent in B2

    The figure in B2 will be entered manually, on one occasion it could be 25%
    on another it could be 9%

    The above formula shows the total amount once the percentage has been added
    to the number. I would like to show the amount added rather than the total.

  4. #4
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Showing the percentage of a total in Excel

    Just take the 1+ out of there.
    =A2*B2

  5. #5
    jakeyboy
    Guest

    Re: Showing the percentage of a total in Excel

    Thats the one! Thank you very much for your help Anne.