Return a value based on duplicate names

  1. #1
    Jimmy H
    Guest

    Return a value based on duplicate names

    Hi.

    I have a list of names, some of the names are duplicated. I need a formula
    or function that will recognize this and make the identical names stand out,
    by either bolding the name, highlighting the cell, or putting a word in the
    cell next to it.

    Please help.

    Thanks.

    Marc

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Return a value based on duplicate names

    Conditional formatting with a formula of

    =COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1)>1

    Bob Phillips

  3. #3
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Return a value based on duplicate names

    Jimmy,

    And if you sort the table on the column with names, the duplicates will be
    together. You can then sort the table again on whatever column it was
    originally ordered on.

    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com