Find lowest and highest value from a set of rows

  1. #1
    Paul A via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Find lowest and highest value from a set of rows

    I think I have a complicated problem. Hope somebody can solve this for me

    ACC 25 30 29
    ACC 24 29 28
    ACC 26 28 25
    BCC 18 19 17
    BCC 17 18 14
    BCC 20 21 19

    These are 6 rows. Now I would like to find the lowest value in ACC 3 rows
    and lowest value in BCC 3 rows. Also a provise for incrementing the rows i
    mean if one more ACC rows is insert it has to take that also into account.
    Further a chart from low value to high value. I have been trying but with no
    luck. If somebody could help me, I would appreciate it. Thanks

  2. #2
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Find lowest and highest value from a set of rows

    Try these *array* formulas:

    =MAX(IF(A1:A7="ACC",B1:D7))

    =MAX(IF(A1:A7="BCC",B1:D7))

    --
    Array formulas are entered using CSE, <Ctrl> <Shift> <Enter>, instead of the
    regular <Enter>, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

    NOW, you said "insert".
    As you insert an entire row, the formulas will revise *automatically* to
    include the additional rows.
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Find lowest and highest value from a set of rows

    You did say "lowest" in your post, but the subject line said lowest *AND*
    highest.

    So, just change the MAX to MIN, and you'll have them both.

    RD

    "RagDyeR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    Try these *array* formulas:

    =MAX(IF(A1:A7="ACC",B1:D7))

    =MAX(IF(A1:A7="BCC",B1:D7))

  4. #4
    Paul A via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Find lowest and highest value from a set of rows

    Thank you RagDyR

  5. #5
    Paul A via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Find lowest and highest value from a set of rows

    I have tried the following but it shows and #Value Error. Can you let me
    know why this occurs

    =MAX(IF(A1:A3="BCC",B1:B3))

  6. #6
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Find lowest and highest value from a set of rows

    Did you enter the formula using CSE?

    I repeat:
    --
    Array formulas are entered using CSE, <Ctrl> <Shift> <Enter>, instead of the
    regular <Enter>, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly
    brackets, which *cannot* be done manually.

    I should add, that even after a revision of the formula, you must use CSE!

    An array formula must *end up* being enclosed in curly brackets.