identify duplicate data in excel spreadsheet

  1. #1
    Mandeep Dhami
    Guest

    identify duplicate data in excel spreadsheet

    Please help me to identify duplicate data from excel spreadsheet.
    I have to enter series of five digit numbers in spreadsheet as per work
    completion.....and some time it so happens that the same number is entered
    twice......I want that the excel should prompt that the number is already
    eneterd.
    For example:
    35851 (out here this number is duplicate as the same is already entered
    above and I want excel should prompt duplicate here)

  2. #2
    ScottO
    Guest

    Re: identify duplicate data in excel spreadsheet

    Assuming that the 2nd entry in your list is at A3,
    put this formula in B3 and copy down to suit.

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH($A3,$A$2:$A2,0)),"","Duplicate Number!!!!")

    Rgds,
    ScottO

    "Mandeep Dhami" <Mandeep [email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    PegL
    Guest

    RE: identify duplicate data in excel spreadsheet

    If you want to keep duplicates from being entered, see

    Good Luck,
    Peg

  4. #4
    Mandeep Dhami
    Guest

    RE: identify duplicate data in excel spreadsheet

    Thanks a lot Peg....your suggetion at the site indicated by you solved my
    problem.