simple formula question?

  1. #1
    ADK
    Guest

    simple formula question?

    I have a column where each cell has either a X or is blank. I would like to
    count the number of X's and then return a percentage complete based on the
    number of cells total (X's and blanks).

    I also have another column, but this column has all different characters
    (not just a X) I would still like to count the cells with data and give an
    average based on number of cells total (X's and blanks).

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2

    Re: simple formula question?

    One way:

    =COUNTIF(A1:A25,"X")/(COUNTIF(A1:A25,"X")+COUNTBLANK(A1:A25))

    Give the cell a percentage format.

    And if I understand the second question, you just want to ignore the non-X's and
    non-blanks?

    If that's correct, then the first formula will work.

    (But maybe I don't understand the second question!!)

  3. #3
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: simple formula question?