Newbie needs excel database help!

  1. #1
    Paul Robinson
    Guest

    Newbie needs excel database help!

    Hi Wonder if anyone can help?

    I am in need of a database that can hold the usual stuff (name, address,
    Tel, membership number etc.) . We also get updates on an excel
    spreadsheet.

    My problem is :
    1. We don't know which database programme to use.
    2. We have tried doing a comparison of the spreadsheet, and an update of
    that spreadsheet, but if say you remove a line, it seems to say all
    other lines underneath have changed when in fact they have just nudged
    up!

    Can anyone point me towards a database, excel compatible that when we
    run a comparison, shows JUST the changes?

    Many thanks in advance

    Paul
    --
    Paul Robinson

  2. #2
    Adam
    Guest

    Re: Newbie needs excel database help!

    Hi Paul,

    Whats wrong with Microsoft Access, it's certainly capatible with Excel
    !

    I would use Access then make a "make-table" query which takes your
    spreadsheet from a linked table and puts it in a new table, however
    when doing so it creates an update field which would update when new
    information is put into the table.

    If you need help with this then drop me a line to my email address.

    Regards

    Adam

  3. #3
    Bill Sharpe

    Paul Robinson wrote:
    > Hi Wonder if anyone can help?
    >
    > I am in need of a database that can hold the usual stuff (name, address,
    > Tel, membership number etc.) . We also get updates on an excel spreadsheet.
    >
    > My problem is :
    > 1. We don't know which database programme to use.
    > 2. We have tried doing a comparison of the spreadsheet, and an update of
    > that spreadsheet, but if say you remove a line, it seems to say all
    > other lines underneath have changed when in fact they have just nudged up!
    >
    > Can anyone point me towards a database, excel compatible that when we
    > run a comparison, shows JUST the changes?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance
    >
    > Paul

    If you're not at all familiar with databases, FileMaker Pro is easy to
    learn to use and quite compatible with Excel.

    Bill