How do I get a - when a 0 is typed in a cell?

  1. #1
    patMO
    Guest

    How do I get a - when a 0 is typed in a cell?

    Two cells appear to be formatted the same. (Acctg/None/2) When a 0 is typed
    in one a - appears...in the other a 0 appears. I've tried format painter
    with no result.

  2. #2
    Gordon
    Guest

    Re: How do I get a - when a 0 is typed in a cell?

    "patMO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Two cells appear to be formatted the same. (Acctg/None/2) When a 0 is

    typed
    > in one a - appears...in the other a 0 appears. I've tried format painter
    > with no result.

    Format Cells-Custom and at the bottom there's a number of very long
    gibberish-looking formats - one of those contains the "-" format for zero.

    HTH

  3. #3
    aristotle
    Guest

    Re: How do I get a - when a 0 is typed in a cell?

    Hi,

    Or you could also use the accounting format from within Format Cells ->
    Number. Accounting format displays "-" for zero.

  4. #4
    patMO
    Guest

    Re: How do I get a - when a 0 is typed in a cell?

    Thx guys...however, neither of those worked . The format is the same in
    both cells. Accounting/No symbol/0 decimals. I get a - in one cell and a 0
    in the other when typing a 0. I have tried format painter to copy the
    format. I want a - when I type a 0.

  5. #5
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: How do I get a - when a 0 is typed in a cell?

    Pat,

    Check the format codes (Format - Cells - Number - Custom). We'll go from
    there. Are these on different sheets? If so, check Tools - Options -
    View - Zero values (it's sheet-level). Not sure that any of these are your
    problem, but worth looking at.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com

  6. #6
    patMO
    Guest

    Re: How do I get a - when a 0 is typed in a cell?

    THANKS!!! It must have been sheet-level. We just upgraded. This was an old
    sheet, both cells were on the same sheet. Thanks for your help!!