auto hide toolbar in Excel won't work

  1. #1
    teecee8
    Guest

    auto hide toolbar in Excel won't work

    I have the toolbar at the bottom of the screen set to 'autohide' but when I'm
    in Excel sometimes it does 'hide' until the cursor is moved over it, but
    mostly it won't autohide so that I cannot see the Sheet names at the bottom
    of the screen. I am running Windows XP Home and Microsoft Office Professional
    2003. Can anyone help please?
    --
    teecee8

  2. #2
    Kassie
    Guest

    RE: auto hide toolbar in Excel won't work

    Hi

    Every time you move your cursor too far into the bottom area, the toolbar
    will pop up. Normally it disappears when you move your cursor up again. If
    it does not, try clicking on you spreadsheet. If you right click on the
    toolbar, and you do have the option available to "Lock Toolbar", make sure
    that is unticked.
    --
    [email protected]ve_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Central UK
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365
    You could reposition the toolbar to the side or top of the screen if it insists on showing itself sometimes.

    Right click on a plain section of the toolbar and drag it to the desired side of the screen.

    Hope it helps

    Tony

  4. #4

    Re: auto hide toolbar in Excel won't work

    If you turn that auto-hide off, you'll always be able to see it (to swap between
    applications quicker) and your mousing won't ever make it pop up to cover any
    application window.

    (just a suggestion)

  5. #5
    teecee8
    Guest

    RE: auto hide toolbar in Excel won't work

    Hi, I've tried clicking on a cell in the spreadsheet, but this makes no
    difference. The thing is that I WANT to have the auto-hide action happening
    because it then allows me to see the tabs/sheet names for easy navigation
    amongst them.
    I've also ensured that the toolbar is NOT locked.
    The annoying thing is that with some Excel files that I've saved, the
    auto-hide function works without problem, but on others it doesn't, making it
    very frustrating.
    Maybe Microsoft has a patch or something that may address this problem ?? I
    can't find anything relevant.
    Any further ideas?
    --
    teecee8

  6. #6
    teecee8
    Guest

    Re: auto hide toolbar in Excel won't work

    thanks anyway, but I really don't want the toolbar on the side, I've got
    other things happening there.
    My problem is NOT that the" toolbar insists on showing itself sometimes ",
    it's that it won't disappear when it should - it just remains static
    (covering up the sheet names)
    --
    teecee8