Getting external data from Access to Excel

  1. #1
    Veli Izzet
    Guest

    Getting external data from Access to Excel

    Hi,

    Is it possible to get external data from access to excel?

    I want to put the value of euro/usdollar to one cell in a worksheet. The
    conversion rates are stored in a table in an access database.

    excel and access are both 2003.
    Thanks for answers.

  2. #2
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Getting external data from Access to Excel

    From within Excel, Data / Pivot Table and Chart report / External data
    Source / Get Data / MS Access database / Browse to mdb file and create what
    you need via the Pivot Table wizard.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Getting external data from Access to Excel

    Or...adding to Ken's advice. If you just want a 'flat' import

    Data>Get external Data>New database query and choose the Access driver and
    navigate to your Access file and table/query

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    [email protected]HIS

  4. #4

    Re: Getting external data from Access to Excel

    or better yet.. you can take Excel and throw it away.. keep your DATA
    in a DATABASE and build re-useable reports instead of recreating the
    whell each week.

  5. #5
    Veli Izzet
    Guest

    Re: Getting external data from Access to Excel

    Thanks to all...

  6. #6
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Getting external data from Access to Excel

    And funnily enough I had thought that keeping his data in Access WAS
    somewhat akin to keeping it in a database. Only difference being that the
    Op is savvy enough to realise that there are better reporting options
    available to him depending on his needs, one of them being the fact that he
    can tap it into it via Excel and therefore link his data as necessary.

    Your argument got boring before
    Your argument is boring now

    Though past performance is no guarantee of future performance, in this case
    I'd pretty much bet on it, so:-

    Your argument will be boring then also.

  7. #7
    Veli Izzet
    Guest

    Re: Getting external data from Access to Excel

    True enough,

    I want to do a lookup operation on data depending on dates at certain
    worksheets in WorkbookA. What I do now is to import the whole database
    as a worksheet, and do the lookup operation with the vlookup function.

    Can I directly do the Vlookup from the Access database, and do not
    import the whole data, like
    F5=E5*Vlookup(A1,'AccessDatabase'!Table1,'Column2').

    The next question would be: Is it better to use (as database engine)
    Access, MySQL or MSDE (SQL 2005 Express).