Exporting From Quickbooks-not formatting numbers

  1. #1
    Carrie
    Guest

    Exporting From Quickbooks-not formatting numbers

    I am trying to export a file from Quickbooks into Excel. The entire
    worksheet is formatted into text. When I format cells (as number) to use the
    SUM function, the formula doesn't calculate. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Schmere
    Guest

    RE: Exporting From Quickbooks-not formatting numbers

    Carrie,

    I've had some success previously by copying the "text" into Notepad, then
    copying the notepad window and dropping it back into excel (in a new
    workbook).

    Note that certain programs have "export" functions which assume an older
    version of excel, and so excel 2003 may not recognize the data in the way it
    was intended to be recognized.

    Alternately, there may be a symbol of some sort attached to your numbers
    which forces Excel to treat them as text. If there is a "$" in front of the
    numbers, or even a " " (space), then excel will recognize the item as text,
    not as a number. If that's the problem:
    highlight the entire workbook (click the "cell heading" at the upper left
    junction of the row and column headings),
    click ctrl+f (find),
    type in the offending symbol,
    press alt+r (replace) then alt+a (replace all)
    The symbols will be gone and your data should be recognized as numbers.

    Good luck!

    Rick