pivotTable question

  1. #1
    edm
    Guest

    pivotTable question

    The default for the PivotTable field has somehow become average and not
    sum. How do I change it back?

    Erle

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: pivotTable question

    There's no setting to change the default calculation.

    Does this happen in just one pivot table, or all pivot tables?
    Is this the default for new data fields, or row and column subtotals?

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    edm
    Guest

    Re: pivotTable question

    It happens all pivotTables

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: pivotTable question

    Is Average the default for new data fields, or row and column subtotals?

    Where is the source data?

  5. #5
    edm
    Guest

    Re: pivotTable question

    I will be in the office tomarrow and I will check into the computers
    that it happens on and write back then, thanks.

  6. #6
    edm
    Guest

    Re: pivotTable question

    The problem is when I go into the layout section of thw wizard and drag
    fields into the Data Section.

    Could it be that Excel dosn't recognize the feilds as nimeric?

    Also, if we are already asking questions, when right clicking a feild
    in the Data section is it possible that Excel XP lost the "Formulas"
    menu entry?

    Thanks loads

    Erle

  7. #7
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: pivotTable question

    If Excel doesn't recognize the fields as numeric, is should add them to
    the data area as "Count of...".

    To convert the values in the source table to real numbers, you can use
    one of techniques shown here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html

    To create a Calculated Field, or Calculated Item, go to the PivotTable
    menu, and choose PivotTable>Formulas

  8. #8
    edm
    Guest

    Re: pivotTable question

    In my XP version of Excel there is no "PivotTable
    menu, PivotTable>Formulas ". There is however in the versions before
    that, any ideas?

    Erle

  9. #9
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: pivotTable question

    Perhaps you have short menus enabled. To change this --

    Choose Tools>Customize
    Select the Options tab
    Add a check mark to 'Always show full menus'
    Click OK

    Or, to use short menus, and see commands that you haven't used recently,
    open a menu, and point to the arrow at the bottom of the menu.

    If that doesn't work, try resetting the Menu bar (if you have customized
    the Menu bar, the customizations will be lost):

    Choose Tools>Customize
    On the Toolbars tab, select the Worksheet Menu Bar
    Click the Reset button
    Click OK to confirm the Reset
    Close the Customize dialog box.