Macro to Click on Alphabet Letter to go to Cell Where that Alphabet Letter Starts in Large Spreadsheet

  1. #1

    Macro to Click on Alphabet Letter to go to Cell Where that Alphabet Letter Starts in Large Spreadsheet

    I have a very large spreadsheet with text entries and would like to set
    it up so that I could click on a letter, for example, "d" and I'd be
    taken to the first cell with an entry beginning with "d". I also need
    to be able to continue to add data to the spreadsheet.

    I've read a lot of posts and the best solution seems to be setting up a
    macro. My problem is that I've never been able to record a macro and my
    attempts to try these in both Word and Excel have failed miserably.
    I've basically been self-taught in the Microsoft office programs for
    the past few years because I work in a 4-person office with no advanced
    users. I've read several books and searched the web for hours but most
    instructions are over my head and I've never been able to locate a
    good, simple tutorial.

    Is there a way to get a ready-made macro to accomplish this? And is
    there anywhere I could get the most basic, simple detailed,
    step-by-step instructions on how to get it on my pc and use it? I've
    seen posts that contain responses with code in them, but I have no idea
    what to do with code. finally, if I can do this, is there somewhere to
    purchase, copy, etc. other macros that would make my job easier? Any
    help would be appreciated.

    Jeanne P.

  2. #2
    Mayank Prakash Gupta
    Guest

    Re: Macro to Click on Alphabet Letter to go to Cell Where that Alphabet Letter Starts in Large Spreadsheet

    Hi,
    you can try out writing this macro...just go to the worksheet and open the
    visual basic editor (alt+f11) and type this code. run it and the first cell
    starting with "d" will be pointed.

    Sub find_D()
    Dim strD As String
    Dim range_cell As Range
    For Each range_cell In ActiveSheet.UsedRange
    strD = range_cell.Value
    If Left(strD, 1) = "D" Then
    MsgBox (range_cell.Address)
    range_cell.Activate
    Exit For
    End If
    Next range_cell
    End Sub

    hope it helps.

    MPG
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Macro to Click on Alphabet Letter to go to Cell Where that Alphabet Letter Starts in Large Spreadsheet

    Hi Jeanne

    You should read David McRitchie's introduction to macros at:

    Also a solution for this type of problem was posted by Otto Moehrbach

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...57199c77bf4771

    I hope this helps.
    --
    Regards