how to convert a html page to excel format ?

  1. #1

    how to convert a html page to excel format ?

    I tried to cut and paste and the format becomes disorganised. Moreover, when I copied the picture, it transferred into a cell. Is there any shareware or aid available that helps in this aspect. URGENT ....

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: how to convert a html page to excel format ?

    You could try File - Open, and enter the URL in the filename box.
    Depending on your version of Excel, it might work well enough.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: how to convert a html page to excel format ?

    and for the picture did you want it or not.

    If you want to get rid of the picture it is a shape and you
    and delete shapes by their type or by the location of the
    upper left corner as examples of what you might do.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shapes.htm

    such as the macro on that page delShapesSel

    disorganized is probably not a good description, but for the
    moment will assume you will get what you want from Jon's reply.
    --
    HTH,

  4. #4
    No, I have not get the problem resolved. I certainly would appreciate if you can help to convert existing html to excel. http://147.202.45.242/~calscan/intra...int.php?LID=33

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: how to convert a html page to excel format ?

    HI Michael,
    Please explain messed up. I opened the file in Excel 2000 (file, open) as Jon
    suggested and it it looks fine in Excel. In fact if you will notice in the
    HTML there are rows that do not line up, yet Excel lined those rows
    up -- like the stuff under "Packing Specifications" does not originally
    line up with content to the left and I was very much surprised that
    something that looks independently formatted would appear on
    same rows.

    You could make some changes like the following, you probably won't
    like the results as far as readability goes because of the merged cells.

    format, cells, alignment, vertical: top (Excel defaults to bottom)

    select numeric cells -- Ctrl+A, Edit, go to (Ctr+G), Special, Constants + Numbers
    then on the Excel toolbars click on the Centered format to unselect it.

    select numeric cells -- Ctrl+A, Edit, go to (Ctr+G), Special, Constants + Text
    then on the Excel toolbars click on the Centered format to unselect it.

    Because of merged cells you find some of your numbers way far to the
    right

    HTH,

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    After converting as per Jon's instruction, the column widths are all different, rows 2 to 10 are redundant while height of row 1 has to be increased. Pictures have to be re-sized.

    This is almost a standard format that I would have to convert from html to excel (so as to facilitate changes to the data); and it would be very unproductive to do all these adjustments of widths and heights of cells and pictures. Can the html file be opened and placed on a "template" such that the adjustments are made once and for all ?

    Thank you very much for your help !!!

  7. #7
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: how to convert a html page to excel format ?

    Hi Michael,
    With Excel 2000, I get overlapping rows in the rows 2 - 10 area
    that you might be redundant, but for fitting something that is not
    an Excel spreadsheet onto a spreadsheet, it sure looked like a
    good job. Of course when I did it, the first thing I did was get
    rid of the pictures and logos, guess they are important to you.

    Did you try recording a macro as you fix things up to your liking.

    After making changes to the data, you aren't planning to make it
    HTML again are you?
    ---

  8. #8

    Red face

    Thanks David,

    I greatly appreciate your comments and assistance. I did convert it to xls and after adjusting/deleting columns and rows, the excel version looks good. I'm not familiar with macro; as I said I need to convert similar html files to excel format ... for many of these data sheets. And it will be very unproductive to adjust everyone of them.

    Does a marco solves this problem ?

    Do you have a email address which I can send my excel file (after conversion and re-adjustment) ?

    Yes, my intention to convert to excel is to enable me to make changes to figures easily and I'm not converting it back to html.

    Once again, thank you !

  9. #9
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: how to convert a html page to excel format ?

    Hi Michael,
    I don't know how much the other files will resemble that one or
    exactly what you did to fix the one you have, but if they are the
    same size pictures and formats you might be able to use the
    recorded macro.

    To record a macro Tools, Macro, record
    but take a look at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm

    You start the macro recorder than you make your manual
    changes to the Excel file. You stop the macro recorder when it
    looks good.

    Then you can try your macro (Macro1 if you never recorded one before)
    on another file opened in Excel. You will find your macro with Alt+F8
    when you want to run it.

    My email address is on every posting, and "email comments" appears
    at the bottom of all of my webpages.
    ---

  10. #10
    Dear David,

    I will try the marco. Once again, thank you. Will post in here again if i encounter problems.