Sorting Data that feeds into other formulas....

  1. #1
    Kittine
    Guest

    Sorting Data that feeds into other formulas....

    Hello:

    I have a workbook (Excel 2003) and I am having trouble with a particular
    sorting issue. On page 2, column GL contains specific data that feeds into
    formulas used in Page 1. When I sort my data on page 2 it changes the
    formula totals on page 1.

    What I want to do is have the ability to 'lock' the data on page 2 so that
    after I sort it doesn't change the totals in my formulas using the Page 2
    cell references.

    For example on Page 1, one of my cells reads the following formula:

    ='Rep Stack Ranking'!GL$12+'Rep Stack Ranking'!GL$13+'Rep Stack
    Ranking'!GL$14+'Rep Stack Ranking'!GL$40

    Rep Stack Ranking being Page 2.

    I have to sort other data on Page 2 to show which sales reps are leading in
    % to Quota, but Column GL on that same page has other pertinent information
    which feeds into Page 1 and eventually Page 3 of my workbook.

    Because I have to sort the Reps based on Stack Ranking (when I enter daily
    sales data reps are sorted by Full Time/Part Time then Store Location then
    Name) it doesn't dynamically update the cell references I have made in my
    formulas on Page 1 - causing part of my overall totals to be incorrect.

    One final example - if Rep A is on row 10 on Page 2, but due to sales
    performance once I sort to show % to Quota Rep A's information is now on row
    15. BUT my formula on Page 1 still references Row 10 instead of having
    updated to Row 15.

    I hope this makes sense to someone

    Have a great day ~ and thanks for any suggestions!

  2. #2
    Henry
    Guest

    Re: Sorting Data that feeds into other formulas....

    Kittine,

    In ='Rep Stack Ranking'!GL$12+'Rep Stack Ranking'!GL$13+'Rep Stack
    Ranking'!GL$14+'Rep Stack Ranking'!GL$40
    the $ means: Always refer to the row number that follows.
    So GL$12 will always refer to row 12, whatever you do with your data.
    $GL12 will always refer to column GL and $GL$12 will always refer to cell
    GL12.

    Try taking the "$" out of all your formulae.
    Then, when you sort, the reference will "follow" the data to the new cell.

    Henry

    news:[email protected]...