How to suppress leading zeros in Excel

  1. #1
    Jay
    Guest

    How to suppress leading zeros in Excel

    I recieve a spreadsheet that has phone stored as a 10 digit number. I need
    to parse it to end up with 3 columns; AreaCode, Exchange, Extension. I use
    Text to Columns to split this. The problem I have is that leading zeros are
    suppressed. For example if an extension is 0040 the leading zeros are
    suppressed and it is displayed as 40. How can I make sure it is always
    displayed as a 4 digit number?

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: How to suppress leading zeros in Excel

    Format>Cells>Number tab, Custom. In the Type box, enter 0000

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: How to suppress leading zeros in Excel

    Make the format of the field Text instead of General (when you do your data|Text
    to columns).