Error message when trying to insert a column

  1. #1
    Kelly
    Guest

    Error message when trying to insert a column

    Hello -

    I'm in an Excel spreadsheet which I did not create. When I try inserting
    columns, I am getting the following error message: "to prevent possible loss
    of data, Excel cannot shift nonblank cells off the worksheet. Try to locate
    the last nonblank cell by pressing CTRL+END and delete or clear all in cells
    between the last cell and the end of your data. Then select cell A1 and save
    your workbook to reset the last cell used. Or, you can move the data to a
    new location and try again". What on earth does this mean? I the
    spreadsheet is not large but when I hit CTRL+END, I go to IV102. I don't
    know how to make this go away. Can anyone help, I would be most grateful.
    Thank you!

    Kelly

  2. #2
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Error message when trying to insert a column

    "Kelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello -
    >
    > I'm in an Excel spreadsheet which I did not create. When I try inserting
    > columns, I am getting the following error message: "to prevent possible
    > loss
    > of data, Excel cannot shift nonblank cells off the worksheet. Try to
    > locate
    > the last nonblank cell by pressing CTRL+END and delete or clear all in
    > cells
    > between the last cell and the end of your data. Then select cell A1 and
    > save
    > your workbook to reset the last cell used. Or, you can move the data to a
    > new location and try again". What on earth does this mean? I the
    > spreadsheet is not large but when I hit CTRL+END, I go to IV102. I don't
    > know how to make this go away. Can anyone help, I would be most grateful.
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Kelly

    It sounds to me like Excel thinks there is data living in the last column,
    all the way out to the right. Is there?

  3. #3
    Kelly
    Guest

    Re: Error message when trying to insert a column

    Whoops Doug, sorry hit "no" thinking that was going to take me to the reply
    box.. Anyway, no there is no data out there. There's only data from
    a1:ae52. But just in case, I highlighted all columns AF-IV and deleted them,
    plus all rows 53 and up. Still doesn't work.

  4. #4
    Kelly
    Guest

    Re: Error message when trying to insert a column

    Hey Doug - Just tried deleting rows again (more than last time) and it
    worked. Wo-hoo! thanks so much!!!

  5. #5

    Re: Error message when trying to insert a column

    Debra Dalgleish has some techniques to reset that last used cell:

  6. #6
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Error message when trying to insert a column

    I wish I'd seen this 10 years ago.

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Error message when trying to insert a column

    Internet Explorer may be a mess at times, but Excel, like a woman you've
    known for many years, is pretty easy to work with if you have any intuition
    at all. :-) Or, it was a lucky guess on my part.

  8. #8
    Kelly
    Guest

    Re: Error message when trying to insert a column

    Yeah I'm going to go with lucky guess. We women are all nuts

  9. #9

    Angry deleting columns

    Deleting columns doesn't work for me....I still can't insert a column. I have tried deleting one.....a couple ....and all the way to the right!