How do I protect a worksheet from being copied & pasted?

  1. #1
    JJ
    Guest

    How do I protect a worksheet from being copied & pasted?

    In Excel 97 I need to send a client a worksheet that I am protecting. But I
    don't want them to be able to copy the whole worksheet and paste it into a
    blank worksheet and amend that.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    The safest way is to print the item and scan the printed output to a .tif file, then send either the .tif or a .pdf copy of the .tif (not a .pdf copy of the Worksheet)

    The 'Capture' process from Adobe, or a good OCR program will still enable copy & paste, but will make it more difficult.

    There are very few other ways to prevent the Copy / Paste from happening.

  3. #3

    Re: How do I protect a worksheet from being copied & pasted?

    Once you give them the excel file (or any file), I don't think there's a way to
    stop anyone from copying it.

  4. #4
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    JJ: Sounds like you don't trust your client. If this may become a legal matter, also keep a copy of the printout that Bryan suggested and mail it to yourself. Don't open the letter, rather keep it in a safe place. Should you ever need it in court, the postmark will verify the condition of the data on the date you mailed it.

    Excel was never designed to be "Secure" and as such there is no sure way to protect data against undesired editing.

    Good Luck!

    Bruce
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA