How can formulas be used to create another formula?

  1. #1
    Geag
    Guest

    How can formulas be used to create another formula?

    This is probaby very simple, but I really don't know a lot aout formulars.

    When I have created formulas to work out the percentage of each sales type
    that we have, I then need to use this % as a part of another formula, Ie

    Sales type A is 50% of our overall sales "=sum(B1/B3)*100", I am am then
    trying use this 50% to apportion our wages bill to a sales type.

    When I create another formula "=sum(B10/B13)*the cell reference of the
    formula I previously calculated" it is throwing out the incorrect answer.

    Can anyone give me a simple answer to a very simple question as I have
    resorted to manually typing in the % excel has calculated and I am producing
    very large and confusing spreadsheets?

    Thanks very much

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: How can formulas be used to create another formula?

    Since you multiply your result by 100 to get percentages, you need to
    divide by 100 when you use that result.

    Another way to do it would be to simply format the percentage as a
    percentage and use it directly. For instance

    A1: 50
    A2: 100

    B1: =A2/A1

    Format B1 as a percentage to display 50%. Note that SUM() is superfluous.

    Then

    C1: <total salary>
    C2: =C1*B1

    will display, in this case, 50% of the total salary in C2.

  3. #3
    Geag
    Guest

    Re: How can formulas be used to create another formula?

    I have formatted the cell as a percentage, but even so it still is not giving
    the right answer.

    I have 3 sheets to my workbook, my first sheet gives all of the %'s and the
    second is holding additional data. On my 3rd sheet I am quite simply using
    the data on my 2nd sheet and multiplying it by the % in the 1st sheet.

    To be honest it's that simple I can't understand what i'm doing wrong!

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: How can formulas be used to create another formula?

    You need to give more detail to be able for me to even make a guess.
    What are your formulae?

    This works for me:

    Sheet1:

    A1: 20
    B1: 50
    C1: =A1/B1 ===> 20% when formatted as a %age.

    Sheet2:

    J2: 150

    Sheet3:

    Z34: =Sheet1!C1 * Sheet2!J2 ===> 30

  5. #5
    Geag
    Guest

    Re: How can formulas be used to create another formula?

    I have found out what it is, very simple - rounding!

    Thank you very much for your help