How do I ignore blanks within my list without losing references?

  1. #1
    sessc
    Guest

    How do I ignore blanks within my list without losing references?

    I have a list that contains 2 columns. Column A is the group name and Column
    B is the members of that group. Therefore, Column A is repeating for each
    entry in Column B.

    I would like to be able to leave the duplicate entries in Column A blank and
    just create a list (for use as validation on another sheet), omitting all the
    blanks.

    Is this possible?

    Ex:

    GROUP MEMBERS
    Admin John
    Sue
    Carol
    Users Joe
    Missy
    Amy
    Managers Robert
    Deborah

    I want to be able to have a validation list that contains Admin, Users,
    Managers without blanks.

  2. #2
    eider
    Guest

    RE: How do I ignore blanks within my list without losing references?

    You could use the advanced filter function, which would work whether or not
    you leave blanks in place of duplicate entries.

    Enter a heading for column A if you don't already have one (can be just a
    single character). Highlight the heading and the rest of the column A
    entries. From the Data menu, select "Filter", then "Advanced filter."

    Click the "copy to another location" radio button" and the "unique roecords
    only" check box. Click in the "Criteria Range" box and then click in the
    cell with your column heading. Click in the "Copy to" box and then click a
    cell of the spreadsheet that has enough blank cells below it for your list.
    Each unique entry will be listed and you can copy the list to your other
    sheet.

  3. #3
    sessc
    Guest

    RE: How do I ignore blanks within my list without losing reference

    I've tried that but the issue that I run into is that the filter is only
    applied once. I need a method that will dynamically refresh the filtered
    list whenever new entries are made in the unsorted list.

    Any suggestions.