Help with Lookup

  1. #1

    Help with Lookup

    I have an excel worksheet that has approximately 20,000+ records. I
    would like to classify these recorded based on two columns. The first
    column's name is "YB Description" and the other is "Sold Date". The YB
    column mainly contains 4 digit numerical values, with approximately
    300-400 records that are text, ie. "classified", "not verified",
    "public use". The Sold Date column is pretty self-explanatory, all the
    records are dates with the following formatting - M/D/Y. What I would
    like to do is create a third column called YB/Sold that classifies the
    records according to the the values in the YB column. I've been able to
    create a simple lookup formula but I run into a problem when it comes
    across the text values "Classified .... ". Is there a way I could
    adjust the formula so that when it comes across theses three text
    values it will look in the 2nd column, "Sold Date", and only use the
    Year portion (M/D/Y) for the YB/Sold cell. I hope this all makes sense.

    Tom.

  2. #2
    Alan Beban
    Guest

    Re: Help with Lookup

    The details of what you're asking are not clear to me, but does

    =RIGHT(YEAR(VLOOKUP("Classified",A1:B10,2,0)),2)

    help?

    Alan Beban

  3. #3

    Re: Help with Lookup

    anything with that many records in Excel is a waste of time.

    Start using DATABASES for your DATA and throw Excel out the Window.

  4. #4

    Re: Help with Lookup

    Sorry for not explain myself better. But I've figured out a solution to
    my problem. I used a logic formula. Aaron the actual records I believe
    sit in a Access database. I use excel just analyzing the data. Not to
    familiar with Access.

    Tom

  5. #5
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Help with Lookup

    Tom

    Sorry you ran across Aaron, he tends to be on a mission that believes Access
    is the answer to the universes issues. What you are doing with Access as a
    data store and Excel as a reporting front-end makes perfect sense. Despite
    what you may have been told by Aaron.

    The interesting point you make about 'Not to familiar with Access.' is a
    point Aaron refuses to accept can *ever* be the case.

    Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have, despite the
    unwelcoming attitude of Aaron

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England