Formula to total items from a drop list with values in several col

  1. #1
    Rescues Mittens
    Guest

    Formula to total items from a drop list with values in several col

    I am trying to create a formula for the following:

    Have spreadsheet locate all columns matching "name" and total those columns
    total and provide grand total, please see example listed below

    Column A Column D Column G Column H
    Dog 10 35
    Cat 15 10
    Mouse 19 48
    Cat 10 2 7
    Cat 15 1 19
    (All other colomns have various other information listed)
    Grand Totals:
    Dog = ? (answer: 45)
    Cat = ? (answer: 79)
    Mouse = ? (answer: 67)

    Thanks!!
    MD

  2. #2
    paul
    Guest

    RE: Formula to total items from a drop list with values in several col

    you could sumif each column using a sumif formula and then sum the respective
    rows.Or are you wanting a drop down box to select say cat and get the
    appropriate sum....sumproduct maybe?(I am not quite up with the play on that
    function...... )
    --
    paul
    remove nospam for email addy!