How do you name and use a custom Layout

  1. #1
    Steve F
    Guest

    How do you name and use a custom Layout

    I have a spreadsheet with 30 coloumns. Differnt users access this spreadsheet
    and depending on their login name I wanted to display a different layout for
    differnt users. I have tried using custom view but it does not work. I tried
    cutting and inserting the cut colomn into a differnt part of the spreadsheet
    and named the custom view, but it did not go to it from the default layout.
    In other words it appears you cannot use custom views to view different
    layout options
    --
    Steve F

  2. #2
    Bill Kuunders
    Guest

    Re: How do you name and use a custom Layout

    Not sure how you are going to tell the system the login name.
    But the custom views should work.

    I start with naming the normal view.........
    You would then need to hide the columns and add a new view name.
    make sure to keep the "hidden rows ,collumns etc"selected

    To re-call the views with a macro instruction use:
    ActiveWorkbook.Customviews ("yourname").Show

    --
    Greetings from New Zealand
    Bill K

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Steve F
    Guest

    Re: How do you name and use a custom Layout

    Bill, getting a user login name from a Windows computeris the real easy bit.
    In the macro I use: dbuser = Environ("username") where dbuser is the
    variable assigned to the environ function. I then use dbuser in a lookup
    function. The custom view does not work for what I am trying to do. Basically
    I have a whole bunch of people on a roster, and depending on who accesses
    this roster decides how to display the people. For instance group all the
    trades together, then group all the technical together. When Admin access the
    roster the columns with the names in would be grouped Left to Right
    alphabetically. Try cutting and then inserting a cut column into a differnt
    Col(say from D1 to A1) and then save that view. When you try to show that
    view from the default view it does not work. I don't want to hide columns,
    just re-arrange them depending on the user login.
    --
    Steve F

  4. #4
    Bill Kuunders
    Guest

    Re: How do you name and use a custom Layout

    Looks like you need to record the cut and paste actions as subroutines
    within the macro.
    I.e. if dbuser =.................then sortforadmin
    elseif dbuser =.................then sortforprodn
    you could do this as a "before open" routine.

    Hope that helps

  5. #5
    Steve F
    Guest

    Re: How do you name and use a custom Layout

    Tried that...real messy...especialy if the column you paste goes into a
    column with merged cells. I am now looking at creating custom lists (which
    you can anme as well) and then sort the spreadsheet on those custom lists. My
    first attempt didn't work as it appears it sorts on the first col in the
    group and does not plonk the whole group into the new location. The VB site
    is easy...its working out how escel does things.
    --
    Steve F

  6. #6
    Bill Kuunders
    Guest

    Re: How do you name and use a custom Layout

    It appears you know enough to get the right method eventually.
    Just one advice
    get writ of the merged cells
    they are a curse
    they are normally only used to make things look pritty
    you can often achieve the same result by using borders

    Have fun