vlookup?

  1. #1

    vlookup?

    I want to calculate the cost of an item based on the number of units sold. In other words, 0-10 is $3, 11-20 is $2, 21-30 is $1, and so on. How do i get excel to compare the inputted number of items to the above range, and multiply by the associated price?

  2. #2
    Govind
    Guest

    Re: vlookup?

    Hi,

    Make a matrix containing the starting number in the range and the price.
    For eg.

    No.of units price
    0 3
    11 2

    etc and use the formula

    =D4*VLOOKUP(D4,$A$1:$B$3,2,TRUE)

    where D4 is the given quantity and A1 and B3 is the range where you had
    listed out the quantity & prices.

    Regards

    Govind.

  3. #3
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: vlookup?

    Start by creating your data list.

    Say in G1 to G6 you enter your quantities:
    0, 1, 11, 21, 31, 41

    And in H1 to H6 you enter your prices:
    0, 3, 2, 1, 0.5, 0.25

    With your quantity in B1, try this formula to get your cost:
    =LOOKUP(B1,G1:G6,H1:H6)*B1

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "zkayess" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: vlookup?

    Hi. Try this tutorial:
    http://www.officearticles.com/tutori...soft_excel.htm
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com

  5. #5

    Re: VLOOKUP?

    Thanks to all for your invaluable help...ended up using RD's suggestion and it worked perfectly. Thx to Anne and Govind.
    zkayess

  6. #6
    RagDyeR
    Guest