What does this calculation do?!

  1. #1
    Paul (ESI)
    Guest

    What does this calculation do?!

    I am working with a colleague to create a spreadsheet to rank supervisor
    performance through several aspects of the average performance of their
    employees. We have been given a similar spreadsheet as an example of what is
    needed. I am looking at it, and initially cannot understand what in the world
    some of the calcuations are meant to do. Here is one that is meant to
    calculate the "ranking score." It is a percentage determined by a target
    percentage and the person's actual performance percentage:

    =IF(IF(C3>0,(C3/B3),200)>200,200,IF(C3>0,(C3/B3),200))

    As far as I can tell, the first inner if clause is saying, if C3's value is
    greater than 0, it should divide C3 by B3 for the value, otherwise the value
    is 200. Am I not right?

    The next part is saying, if that entire value is greater than 200.... there
    is were my confusion first comes in. How is the value going to be greater
    than 200? It is either one percentage divided into another (this means it is
    highly unlikely that the value will be over 200), or the value is assigned as
    200, which is obviously not greater than 200.

    The next part is somewhat confusing too. It seems to say that, if this is
    the case (the entire value is greater than 200) the value now assigned IS
    200. That just seems weird. The second possible if result (if the value is
    less than 200) is another if clause which is exactly the same as the initial
    inner if clause. What is this doing? If anybody can help, I'd great
    appreciate it. I'm still trying to figure it out myself, but I'm stumped for
    now.

    --
    Have a nice day!

    ~Paul
    Express Scripts,
    Charting the future of pharmacy

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: What does this calculation do?!

    Paul,

    It just seems to cap the result at 200, by testing this part
    IF(C3>0,(C3/B3),200) to be greater than 200, and setting at 200. If not
    greater than 200, re-do the calculation..

    So if B3 = 1 and C3 = 700 say, the result is 200.

    You could do it more simply with

    =MIN(200,IF(C3>0,(C3/B3),200))

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: What does this calculation do?!

    Paul,

    A little simpler:

    =IF(C4>0,MIN(C4/B4,200),200)

    > The next part is saying, if that entire value is greater than 200.... there
    > is were my confusion first comes in. How is the value going to be greater
    > than 200? It is either one percentage divided into another (this means it is
    > highly unlikely that the value will be over 200), or the value is assigned as
    > 200, which is obviously not greater than 200.

    If B4 is very close the zero, the ratio C4/B4 can easily be greater than 200, but this formula
    limits it to 200.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Paul (ESI)
    Guest

    RE: What does this calculation do?!

    OH! Wow! Thanks! I see now that I so close to getting it and I somehow could
    not fill in the final blank. You filled it in for me. Thanks!

  5. #5
    Gary's Student

  6. #6
    Paul (ESI)
    Guest

    Re: What does this calculation do?!

    Thanks to you both as well. I may suggest to my colleague that we try one of
    your suggestions instead of doing what this other person did with their
    spreadsheet. Once I figured out what the calculation did (thanks, in part, to
    Gary's Student's assistance. Thanks again!) it did seem more complicated than
    it had to be to perform what it was doing.