I figured everything out except what "FALSE" does.

  1. #1
    Paul (ESI)
    Guest

    I figured everything out except what "FALSE" does.

    Okay, this is a different part of the same spreadsheet I mentioned in my
    earlier post. For anybody who didn't read that post, a colleague and I have
    to create a spreadsheet that uses several values, targets, and actual
    performances to rate and rank supervisors based on the performance of their
    employees. We were given an example spreadsheet and are somewhat lost about
    what all the equations mean. I've got this one figured out except for one
    thing:

    =VLOOKUP($B$3,'Ranking Data'!$A$3:$F$13,6,FALSE)

    What I have figured out: It takes what is in B3 of the current sheet, then
    looks at A3 through F13 of the "Ranking Data" sheet to find the same thing
    (for example, if B3 of the current sheet says "Meep," it will look for
    "Meep," in Ranking Data). Once it finds the same thing, it takes whatever
    value is in the 6th column.

    What I don't understand: What is the purpose of "FALSE?" As always, any help
    would be greatly appreciated.

    --
    Have a nice day!

    ~Paul
    Express Scripts,
    Charting the future of pharmacy

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: I figured everything out except what "FALSE" does.

    There's information on the VLOOKUP arguments in Excel's Help, and here:

    Paul (ESI) wrote:
    > Okay, this is a different part of the same spreadsheet I mentioned in my
    > earlier post. For anybody who didn't read that post, a colleague and I have
    > to create a spreadsheet that uses several values, targets, and actual
    > performances to rate and rank supervisors based on the performance of their
    > employees. We were given an example spreadsheet and are somewhat lost about
    > what all the equations mean. I've got this one figured out except for one
    > thing:
    >
    > =VLOOKUP($B$3,'Ranking Data'!$A$3:$F$13,6,FALSE)
    >
    > What I have figured out: It takes what is in B3 of the current sheet, then
    > looks at A3 through F13 of the "Ranking Data" sheet to find the same thing
    > (for example, if B3 of the current sheet says "Meep," it will look for
    > "Meep," in Ranking Data). Once it finds the same thing, it takes whatever
    > value is in the 6th column.
    >
    > What I don't understand: What is the purpose of "FALSE?" As always, any help
    > would be greatly appreciated.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: I figured everything out except what "FALSE" does.

    It is all explained in Help.

    It means that it is looking for an exact match. True is looking for an
    approximate match (and is the default).

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Paul (ESI)
    Guest

    Re: I figured everything out except what "FALSE" does.

    All right! Thanks! This message board comes through for me again. For anybody
    following along, I'll paraphrase the section of the web site that answered my
    question:

    If the lookup value is not found in the range of cells from the other sheet
    to which you referenced it, it returns N/A. So, using my earlier example, if
    the value of B3 does not show up in the Ranking Data sheet between A3 and
    F13, it will return N/A.

  5. #5
    Paul (ESI)
    Guest

    Re: I figured everything out except what "FALSE" does.

    Thank you very much! Both of you were a big help. I skimmed through the
    office assistant's help but hadn't noticed the answer. I guess I probably
    just accidentally skipped over it.