Changing Border Thickness Throughout Document

  1. #1
    Doug
    Guest

    Changing Border Thickness Throughout Document

    I have an Excel sheet that has bordered text all over the document. It's
    kind of like a flow chart, in a way, so not all cells have the borders. I
    want to change the color and line of the border throughout a selected range,
    but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this. I'd even just like to
    select the entire worksheet and change the border color throughout the sheet
    for all current border lines. Is there a way to do this? Currently the only
    way I'm seeing is to go into "Format Cells" and change each individual
    border, which limits me when it's an entire worksheet.

    Also, is there a way to set the default line and color of the border?

  2. #2
    Karthik
    Guest

    Re: Changing Border Thickness Throughout Document

    Hi Dough

    You have not mentioned the excel version that you use.
    In the later versions of excel one can search and replace fomats too..
    You will get it in your Ctrl F or Ctrl H Screen itself.

    Thanks
    Karthik Bhat
    Bangalore

  3. #3
    Doug
    Guest

    Re: Changing Border Thickness Throughout Document

    I have 2003 11.6113.5703. I see what you're saying about doing the find and
    replace the format. That seems to work to an extent. I was hoping for a
    slightly easier approach, as I have to keep setting the different styles to
    find and replace with that option. Good temporary solution for me though,
    thanks!

  4. #4
    Henry
    Guest

    Re: Changing Border Thickness Throughout Document

    Doug,

    To change the border format for ALL cells.
    Click on the little square above the row numbers, on the same row as the
    column names, to select the whole sheet's cells.
    Now go to Format>Cells and change the formatting of the borders to what you
    want.
    Click OK and then on any cell.
    All your borders will be the same format.

    Henry

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Doug
    Guest

    Re: Changing Border Thickness Throughout Document

    Henry,

    Doing it that way won't work because I have to select what lines to format.
    When I select the lines, it makes my entire document become one big grid.

    -Doug