Royally Confused!!

  1. #1
    Confused Man
    Guest

    Royally Confused!!

    Hello all...
    here is my situation:
    On Sheet2 of my workbook I have a set of data that starts at B3:B9. Next to
    column "B" I have column "C-F" with data that corresponds to each row of
    "B".
    For example:

    B2=Stock C-F2=price,PE, etc...

    I have highlighted the stocks listed in column "B" and defined a name for
    them.

    On Sheet1 I have gone through the validation and set up the pull down menu
    where I can select the stock from Sheet2.

    But my question is how can I set it up so that when I choose the a stock
    from the pull down list in the adjacent columns it returns the values from
    columns C-F?

    I know this is a round about way to ask a question, I just want to provide
    as much information as possible.

    Thank you all so much,
    Confused Man

  2. #2
    Kent, UK
    Try using VLOOKUP

    =vlookup(your pull down cell here,data table on sheet2,column number,false)

    you will need to sort your data on sheet 2 into ascending order of column B

    Hope this helps

  3. #3
    Joham Shason via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Royally Confused!!

    Hi, I think you can use the lookup formula to do this. The formula in sheet 1
    will be =VLOOKUP($A1,Sheet2!$B$3:$F$9,COLUMNS($A$1:B1),FALSE). Hope this
    works.

    --
    Joham

  4. #4
    Confused Man
    Guest

    Re: Royally Confused!!

    Thank you guys that worked great... now a couple more questions if you don't
    mind... right now if nothing is chosen in the pulldown list the Vlookup
    returns #N/A. How can I get these cells to remain blank unless something is
    chosen from the list?

    also, one of the Vlookup cells I want to multiply a manually entered value
    but if I don't enter a value I want it to ignore that operation and just
    return the value from the original dataset.

    For example. Vlookup(B2,datatable,columns) should return a value of 1. but
    it's looking at the cell I want to multiply and returning a 0, but I want it
    to ignore the cell if it's blank. I'm pretty sure I need to use an IF
    statement, but I'm not sure how to go about that.

    Thank you all so very much for all your excellent help,
    Confused Man

    news:[email protected]...