printing only active range (changing)

  1. #1

    printing only active range (changing)

    hi all
    when im printing a sheet the print area is automaticly set to all cells containing formulas ,even if the formula resualt is nothing.
    how can i set the print area to change automaticly and print only cells where the formula resualt in NOT nothing ?
    (i get the data to the sheet from a database, and the size of the report is changing every time. next to the data im getting from the data base i have the additional formulas )

    thanks
    Oz.

  2. #2

    Re: printing only active range (changing)

    Maybe...

    Can you pick out a column that always has data if that row is used?

    If you can, then maybe this old post will help you (I used column A):

    Insert|Name|Define
    Names in workbook: Sheet1!LastRow
    Use this formula
    Refers to: =LOOKUP(2,1/(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$1000<>""),ROW(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$1000))

    (Make that 1000 big enough to extend past the last possible row.)

    Then once more:
    Insert|Name|Define
    Names in workbook: Sheet1!Print_Area
    Use this formula
    Refers to: =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,0,0,lastRow,3)

    That last 3 represents the last column to print (A:C in my example).

    And change the worksheet (sheet1) if necessary (in all the places).

  3. #3

    Re: printing only active range (changing)

    Alternatively, you could apply data|filter|autofilter and show only those rows
    that have non-blanks. Then print that.