[SOLVED] Formula changing when I move the data to new column - how to prevent change

  1. #1
    - Bobb -
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Formula changing when I move the data to new column - how to prevent change

    Simplified version of my file is:

    Col a b c d e

    Portfolio 7/29/2005 / For the Week / YTD / 7/22/2005
    abc corp 10,000 +500 8% 9500
    def corp 10,000 - 200 4% 10200
    mmm 10,000 +100 0% 9900
    ppp corp 10,000 +322 -1.2% 9678
    xyz corp 10,000 +12 1% 9988
    Total 50,000 834 x% 49,266

    I have an excel file as above.
    Each week, I copy/insert b1-b20 to the Column E (so previous week slides
    to the right) then I update the leftmost column with current info. My "For
    the week " column is c2 = b2 - e2. I want it to stay so. BUT when I
    insert col b values to col E, (so that col E now becomes col F)
    the formula for C2 changes to c2=b2-F2 (following the data)
    I want C2 to ALWAYS be c2 = b2 - e2. I want C3 to ALWAYS be c3 = b3 - e3.
    (and same for other cels in the c column)
    I never want the formula containing E2 to change to F2 on its own

    How to "lock the formula" for those cells in col C ? I've tried all the HELP
    in Excel/online. Can't find it.
    Any guidance ?

    Thanks very much.
    Bobb

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Formula changing when I move the data to new column - how to prevent change

    try this
    =B2-INDIRECT("e"&ROW())

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Dave
    Guest

    Re: Formula changing when I move the data to new column - how to prevent change

    Excel uses relative cell referencing because row/cell
    additions/deletions shift cells around. So the formulas still work but
    their references change. OK, so you knew that! Methinks what you need
    to do is use absolute cell references. Here's an example:
    $C$3=$B$3-$E$3. The dollar sign must be in front of both the column and
    row address.

  4. #4
    - Bobb -
    Guest

    Re: Formula changing when I move the data to new column - how to prevent change

    Dave,

    I've tried that - it doesn't work.
    Although I did not enter $C$3 anywhere (assuming you included just as a
    written explanation). Using my earier example, after copy/insert it changes
    the formula for col C cells from $B$3-$E$3 to $B$3-$F$3....

    Bobb

  5. #5
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Formula changing when I move the data to new column - how to prevent change

    Did you try my suggestion?

  6. #6
    - Bobb -
    Guest

    Re: Formula changing when I move the data to new column - how to prevent change

    I did get the solution:
    http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...4ccb4&t=392556

    Re: Formula changing when I move the data to new column - how to prevent
    change

    ----

    try this
    =B2-INDIRECT("e"&ROW())

    I tried that and it works just fine.

    Bobb

  7. #7
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Formula changing when I move the data to new column - how to prevent change

    Glad to help