Unhiding Columns in Error

  1. #1
    Big Andy D
    Guest

    Unhiding Columns in Error

    Background:
    Spreadsheet contains many ranges of hidden columns.

    Problem:
    When manually (i.e. no macro involved) entering a column into any cell, all
    hidden columns unhide - causing much frustration to the user concerned.

    This problem is local to one user and their PC. This would suggest that
    this is an Excel setting ... but I can't find it for the life of me !!

    Please help !!

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Unhiding Columns in Error

    I'm not sure what you mean by "entering a column into any cell" but columns
    unhiding themselves is pretty unusual. Can a macro be involved (perhaps
    unknowingly)? If you disable macros when you open the workbook does the
    problem still occur? If so, when you start Excel in safe mode so that no
    extra files are opened (Start->Run and enter "Excel.exe /s" without quotes)
    does it happen?.

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Big Andy D
    Guest

    Re: Unhiding Columns in Error

    My apologies ... typo ... entering a "formula" into a cell.

    I'll get the user to try it tomorrow but it appears to happen on any
    spreadsheet she works on. No macros involved - I'll check her personal.xls.
    I agree about it being unusual ... I've never seen it before and I cannot
    recreate in on any other PC.

    Any thoughts?

  4. #4
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Unhiding Columns in Error

    >>entering a "formula" into a cell.

    Ahh, that just created a flashback<g>. If the user has "Transition
    navigation keys" selected under Tools, Options, Transition then hidden
    columns will be temporarily exposed when you go into "point mode" when
    entering a formula. This option is there to mimic 1-2-3 and that is how
    1-2-3 behaved, at least when I used it in my pre-Excel days.

    --
    Jim
    "Big Andy D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | My apologies ... typo ... entering a "formula" into a cell.
    |
    | I'll get the user to try it tomorrow but it appears to happen on any
    | spreadsheet she works on. No macros involved - I'll check her
    personal.xls.
    | I agree about it being unusual ... I've never seen it before and I cannot
    | recreate in on any other PC.
    |
    | Any thoughts?
    |
    | "Jim Rech" wrote:
    |
    | > I'm not sure what you mean by "entering a column into any cell" but
    columns
    | > unhiding themselves is pretty unusual. Can a macro be involved (perhaps
    | > unknowingly)? If you disable macros when you open the workbook does the
    | > problem still occur? If so, when you start Excel in safe mode so that
    no
    | > extra files are opened (Start->Run and enter "Excel.exe /s" without
    quotes)
    | > does it happen?.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Jim
    | > "Big Andy D" <Big Andy [email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | > | Background:
    | > | Spreadsheet contains many ranges of hidden columns.
    | > |

  5. #5
    Big Andy D
    Guest

    Re: Unhiding Columns in Error

    Whatever you are paid ... it is not enough ... many thanks.

    That's been a thorn in my side for too long.

    Many thanks.