excel changing after 15th digit the numbers into zero's

  1. #1
    alex
    Guest

    excel changing after 15th digit the numbers into zero's

    When I import a tab delimited text file into excel one of the fields has a 22
    digit number, for example 9101805213907711886715, however when it imports
    into excel (even if i cut and paste) it becomes this:
    9101805213907710000000. Its putting in zero's after the 15th digit, Ive
    formatted cell as text, number etc but nothing works

    any help would be appreciated

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: excel changing after 15th digit the numbers into zero's

    >>Ive formatted cell as text, number etc but nothing works

    Do you mean that in the Text Import Wizard, on the page where you specify
    the data format, you've selected Text for each of these long "number"
    fields? I'd have to guess not because when I do this there is no problem.
    The long "numbers" (actually text) come in in their entirety.

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    alex
    Guest

    Re: excel changing after 15th digit the numbers into zero's

    Thanks for your help Jim, I hadnt seen the text import wizard, that worked